Perricone Diet Foods Permitted
The Perricone diet is basically a low-GI diet, but filled with a lot of salmon and berries (especially purple berries) for their anti-inflammatory effects.
The following are the list of foods permitted to achieve weight loss on the Perricone diet:
- Dairy - low fat organic cottage cheese, milk and yoghurt
- Eggs - organic and free range, which are naturally higher in omega-3 fatty acids
- Fruits - apples, avocado, berries, cherries, grapefruit, honeydew, lemon, pears, rockmelon, tomatoes, water chestnuts
- Grains and legumes – barley, buckwheat, dried beans (all types), chickpeas, lentils, peas (all types), oatmeal, oats (should be organic and only be used in moderation)
- Nuts - almonds, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, macadamias, pecans, pine nuts, pistachios, walnuts (unsalted and organic)
- Omega-3 rich fish – wild Alaskan salmon (highest source of omega-3 fatty acids, anchovies, black cod (sablefish), halibut, herring, mackerel, sardines, trout
- Other seafoods - bass, clam, cod, crab, flounder, lobster, mussels, oysters, prawns, scallops
- Poultry - organic, free-range chicken and turkey, turkey sausages and bacon (avoid any with added nitrates)
- Seeds - linseeds, pumpkin, sesame, sunflower (unsalted and organic)
- Vegetables - artichoke, asparagus, beans (all types), broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, capsicum, cauliflower, celery, collard greens, dark green and red leafy lettuce (all types), eggplant, endive, garlic, leafy green vegetables (bok choy, chard, chicory, kale, mustard greens, rocket, spinach), leeks, mushrooms, onions, pumpkin, radish, sprouts (all types), squash, swedes, turnip, zucchini
The Perricone diet is basically a low-GI diet, but filled with a lot of salmon and berries (especially purple berries) for their anti-inflammatory effects
In addition to the above food, the following are also permitted:
- Beverages - acai berry, cocoa (made with pure organic cocoa powder), organic tea (white, green, black), pomegranate juice (unsweetened), water (preferably spring or filtered)
- Healthy good fats – from avocado, chocolate (dark, high quality, organic), coconut, olives, nuts (all types), organic cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, seeds (all types)
- Herbs and spices – all types as long as they are natural, fresh and organic
- Sweeteners - only agave is allowed
For more more detailed and comprehensive list on all the foods permitted, see the Perricone Diet official web site, which also has an example diet plan.
References and Explanations
- Dr Perricone recommends acai berry because of its excellent essential fatty acid, amino acid and anti-inflammatory properties. Dr Perricone states that the acai berry is a powerhouse fruit, as it provides quality protein, healthy fat, calcium, fibre and strong antioxidants in the one natural, healthy package.
- Dr Perricone recommends the agave fruit and in particular its nectar as a sweetener, as is it much sweeter than sugar (25% more sweeter) and has low GI (about 10-11). Dr Perricone recommends agave nectar as a healthier alternative to traditional (sugar, honey) and non-traditional, artificial sweeteners.